The micro-credential provides new entrants, career change people and temporary working visa holders who are new to the primary industries with the skills and knowledge to operate a tractor with PTO and 3-point.
Operate a Tractor in the Primary Industry (Level 3)
On completion of this micro-credential, you will be able to:
- Identify the legal requirements for tractors and tractor drivers on both private property and on public roads
- Demonstrate knowledge of hazards associated with tractor use
- Describe reporting requirements for accidents and near misses
- Demonstrate knowledge of factors that affect tractor stability
- Demonstrate knowledge of the dynamics of tractor and attached implement combinations when in use
- Demonstrate knowledge of the differences between two wheel drive (2WD) and four wheel drive (4WD) tractor dynamics
- Maintain a PTO driven implement on a tractor
- Drive a tractor and PTO driven implement to complete a workplace activity
- Check a basic tractor before use
- Drive a basic tractor over flat terrain
- Attach a PTO driven 3-point linkage mounted implement to a basic tractor, and
- Detach a PTO driven 3-point linkage mounted implement from a basic tractor.
To be eligible to enrol in full-time or part-time study for this programme, applicants must:
- Be over 16 years of age.
- Learners must have access to a commercial primary industry or agriculture business involved with where tractors are used in day to day operations on private land.
- Must have use of a tractor weighing over 1000kg with a 3-point linkage on private land.
- Be physically fit and able to demonstrate physical competency for the skill being trained.
- Have minimum 20 hours experience operating a tractor and implements in a workplace as evidenced by managers attestation, log books, and/or other evidence. This evidence must be presented prior to or on the first day of the course.
Who Should Attend
This qualification is intended for people using tractors in their primary sector workplace.
Our Teaching Method
Our trainers are all experienced practical people. They speak everyday workplace language and have a wealth of real-life examples to share with our trainees. Trainees are encouraged to ‘have a go’ in a supportive, safe environment.
Learners who complete this course can gain credits toward the New Zealand Certificate in Primary Industry Operational Skills (Level 3)
All unit standards listed below are compulsory on completion learners may be awarded the Micro-Credential by the Primary ITO.
|Unit Standard||Unit Description||NZQA
|19044||Demonstrate knowledge of the legal requirements and hazards associated with tractor use||3||2|
|24538||Demonstrate knowledge of tractor stability and the dynamics of tractors and attached implements||4||3|
|24539||Maintain and use a power take off (PTO) driven implement attached to a tractor under limited supervision.||4||3|
|31913||Operate a basic tractor on flat terrain under close supervision||3||2|
|31914||Attach and detach a power take off driven 3-point linkage mounted implement to a basic tractor under close supervision||2||2|
For more information visit our FAQs and Important Information.
spaces available $