STCW stands for Standards of Training, Certification and Watchkeeping (for Seafarers). Before embarking as a crew member on board a commercial vessel such as offshore fleet, tankers, ferries, super yachts and passenger vessels, it is now mandatory to complete a refresher course every 5 years.
The course consists of the following:
- Fire Prevention and Firefighting (FPFF) - 2 days: A theory and practical based course ensures crew responding to fires understands the of fire dynamics, fire prevention systems available, and maintaining a state of readiness to respond to the various types of fire classes.
- Personal Survival Techniques (PST) - 1 day: A theory and swimming pool based practical course. Crew members learn the principals of survival sea, actions to be taken when called to survival craft, dangers to survivors, and equipment available.
- Crowd Management Training (CMT) - 4 hours: Staff dealing with passengers in passenger spaces on board passenger ships, must receive additional safety training. The aim is for the student to be able to communicate effectively, apply emergency procedures, and use emergency equipment.
Basic training includes FPFF and PST and are normally delivered together. However, the courses can be delivered separately if required.
Crowd Management Training Refresher can be added to this course if required. This is required for all crew members with a duty to assist passengers on board ships - ie. Cook Strait Ferries and Cruise Ships. Minimum of 10 trainees required to confirm this addition, and will add 4 extra hours to the course duration.
- Completed Enrolment form - Click Here
- Proof of Identity - eg. Photo ID such as passport
- Proof of having completed the full course or a refresher course within five years.
- A Drills and Sea Service letter Click Here
- A current Sea Farers medical certificate or completed VHNZ medical form (FPFF refresher only) - Click Here
- Location to be arranged at the time of booking. If training is onsite, a site examination can be carried out by VHNZ prior to your training course, to ensure course content is tailored for your unique working environment.
- Meals can be provided on request.
- Public courses are also available from time to time however this depends on the demand.
spaces available $