As our understanding of the nature of the hazards and risks of farm chemicals increases so does our understanding of the need for controls. A number of regulations are now in place to protect us, our health, the health and safety of our workers, and our land, from the negative effects of agrichemicals. Vertical Horizonz have developed this course to show you how to identify the hazards and risks of the chemicals you use, and select and apply the necessary controls to keep yourself, your workers and your farms safe, and your business compliant.
Chemical Handling on Farms
At the successful completion of the course trainees will be able to:
- Identify the hazards and risks of the agrichemicals you use;
- Select and apply the appropriate controls to keep yourself, your workers and your farm safe, and compliant;
- Know how to use, store and dispose of the agrichemicals you need on farm safely, and compliantly;
- Know how to manage chemical emergencies and re-establish controls;
- Meet all your compliance requirements including your inventory, tracking and application reporting requirements
- Meet the requirements of a ‘Competent Person’, under the Health and Safety at Work (Hazardous Substances) Regulations 2017, and a ‘Qualified Person’, as defined in the Hazardous Substances (Hazardous Property Controls) Notice 2017.
If you handle 6.1A or 6.1B agrichemicals you will need to go on to apply for Certified Handlers Compliance Certificate. This course addresses the knowledge requirements for this Certification.
Who Should Attend
Any person responsible for the management, storage, use, disposal or otherwise handling of agrichemicals in a workplace, especially those substances requiring the maintenance of tracking and other application records.
This course can be used as evidence of ‘knowledge of the regulations’, a prerequisite requirement for a Certified Handlers Compliance Certificate.
Skills and knowledge of workplace procedures relating to hazardous substances, or hold unit standard:
31292 Demonstrate knowledge of workplace procedures relating to hazardous substances.
This course includes attendance on a short course and completion of a workbook. Cousre delivery options include:
- A 4 hour Webinar followed by an up to 2 hour on line tutorial during which you may complete much of the workbook requirements. Note that you will need access to a good internet connection and a quiet place to work to be able to participate in a Webinar. You will need to send in your completed workbook within a week of completing the course
- A 7 hour face to face interactive course during which delivery is interspaced by the workbook activities completing the requirements of the course by the end of the day.
The course meets the requirements of a ‘Qualified Person’ as defined under the HSNO Act EPA (Hazardous Property Controls) Notice 2017 and a ‘Competent Person’ as specified under s4.5, s19.1 and in Schedule 27 of the Health and Safety at Work (Hazardous Substances) Regulations 2017.
It provides the successful trainee the opportunity to meet the requirements of a ‘Certified Handler’ as defined under s4.3 of that regulation.
spaces available $