Submit a request for listing



personal requirements under the new hazardous substances regulations 2017 v2
04.12.17    |  

Personal Requirements under the new Hazardous Substances Regulations 2017

04/12/2017 by Andrew Saunders - HSNO SME

Personnel Requirements under the new Health and Safety at Work (Hazardous Substances) Regulations 2017

After the 1st June 2018 the new Hazardous Substances Regulations will require you to evidence that every worker who uses, handles, manufactures, or stores a hazardous substance (including hazardous waste) is either:

·         A 'Certified Handler' if handling Class 1 explosive substances,  pesticides and fumigants requiring a  'Controlled Substances Licences' or any other Class 6 toxic substance triggering 6.1A and 6.1B controls; and/or

·         A 'Competent Person' responsible for securing and tracking hazardous substances specified in the regulations; and/or

·         Provided with information, training and instruction.

Separate to this you must also evidence that you provide workers access to supervision appropriate for the knowledge and experience of the worker.


Table 2: Legislated compliance tools

Legislated tools

Personnel Requirements

Current under


Approved Handler


Future under


Certified Handler

Competent Person

Trained Worker


What will this mean for you?

Approved Handlers will roll over as Certified Handlers and/or qualify a Competent Person and/or evidence a PCBU's provision of training until their renewal date. After the 1st June 2018 however you will no longer need Certified Handlers for Classes 2, 3, 4, or 5 substances. You will need Certified Handlers to be available to provide non-certified handlers instruction to use your Class 6.1A and 6.1B substances. Your Certified Handlers will need to be 'present and available' when Class 6.1A and 6.1B substances are in use. This cannot be at the end of a phone. Your Certified Handlers will need to demonstrate a higher degree of compliance than present day Approved Handlers and there will be a higher degree of focus on training records and evidence of skills assessment by Compliance Certificate Certifiers.

You will need to keep good records to evidence the training of designated 'Competent Persons' and all other workers handling hazardous substances.

Book Course