This course is for people working or intending to work in the primary sector (rural or horticulture). It enables the learner to prepare for and safely operate a light 4WD vehicle on-road.
Operate a Light 4WD Vehicle On-Road in the Primary Industry (Level 3)
On completion of this micro-credential, you will be able to:
- Carry out a pre-start check on a light 4WD vehicle.
- Carry out start-up and shut-down procedures for a light 4WD vehicle.
- Describe light 4WD features and dynamics.
- Describe safe operation of a light 4WD vehicle on-road.
- Describe safe operation of a light 4WD vehicle on-road with trailed equipment.
- Operate a light 4WD vehicle on different road surfaces at different speeds.
This course is funded by PrimaryITO. Candidates must be New Zealand or Australian Citizens or Residents and must be working in a primary industry or pest control environment. Learners may be required to wear suitable Personal Protective Equipment.
For funding purposes, a training agreement must be signed by the learner, their employer and PrimaryITO. In addition to the Te Pukenga PITO fee of $325, leaners will be required to pay an additional $295 to VHNZ.
Training will not commence until enrolment and funding is confirmed by PrimaryITO.
Our Teaching Method
Our trainers are all experienced practical people. They speak everyday workplace language and have a wealth of real-life examples to share with our trainees. Trainees are encouraged to ‘have a go’ in a supportive, safe environment.
Who Should Attend
This qualification is intended for people using or intending to use light 4WD drive vehicles for pest control or their farm or horticulture workplace.
To be eligible to enrol in full-time or part-time study for this programme, applicants must:
- Be over 16 years of age.
- Hold a class 1 full or restricted drivers licence.
- Be working in a primary industry related workplace or pest control role involved with use of a light 4WD on road.
- Have access to a light 4WD vehicle (described below) and nearby roads of various types including sealed or unsealed, formed road or track.
NOTE: This course requires the use of a light 4WD vehicle (vehicle with a gross laden weight less than 3500kg and capable having motive of power applied simultaneously to all four wheels). Not an all-terrain vehicle. Additional charges may apply if a vehicle must be hired.
All unit standards listed below are compulsory on completion learners may be awarded the micro-credential by the Primary ITO.
|Unit Standard||Unit Description||NZQA
|17976||Demonstrate knowledge of operating a light 4WD vehicle in an off-road environment.||4||3|
|20848||Demonstrate knowledge of and skills for driving a light 4WD vehicle
spaces available $