This course is for people working or intending to work in the primary sector (rural or horticulture). It enables the learner to prepare for and safely operate a light 4WD vehicle off-road.
Operate a Light 4WD Vehicle Off-Road in the Primary Industry (Level 3)
On completion of this micro-credential, learners will be able to:
- Describe light 4WD features and dynamics.
- Describe safe operation of a light 4WD vehicle off-road.
- Describe safe operation of a light 4WD vehicle through water
- Carry out a pre-start check on a light 4WD vehicle.
- Operate a light 4WD vehicle off road on different terrain.
- Operate a light 4WD vehicle through water.
- Carry out an on-road use check on a light 4WD vehicle
To be eligible to enrol in full-time or part-time study for this programme, applicants must:
- Be over 16 years of age.
- Be working in a primary industry related workplace or pest control role involved with use of a light 4WD off- road.
- Hold a class 1 full or restricted drivers licence
- Have access to a light 4WD vehicle (described below) and off-road land that includes water above the vehicle hubs.
- If the vehicle is to be driven on a road during training candidates are required to hold a restricted or class 1 driver’s licence.
- Be physically fit and able to demonstrate physical competency for the skill being trained.
NOTE: This course requires the use of a light 4WD vehicle (any four-wheel vehicle with a gross laden weight less than 3500kg and capable having motive of power applied simultaneously to all four wheels. Additional charges may apply if a vehicle must be hired.
Who Should Attend
This qualification is intended for people using or intending to use light 4WD drive vehicles for pest control or their farm or horticulture workplace.
This course is funded by PrimaryITO. Candidates must be New Zealand or Australian Citizens or Residents and must be working in a primary industry or pest control environment. Learners may be required to wear suitable Personal Protective Equipment.
For funding purposes, a training agreement must be signed by the learner, their employer and PrimaryITO. Funding is available until 31 December 2022 through the NZ Governments Targeted Training and Apprenticeship Fund (TTAF) after which a fee may be required for incomplete training.
Training will not commence until enrolment and funding is confirmed by PrimaryITO.
Our Teaching Method
Our trainers are all experienced practical people. They speak everyday workplace language and have a wealth of real-life examples to share with our trainees. Trainees are encouraged to ‘have a go’ in a supportive, safe environment.
Learners who complete this course can gain credits toward the New Zealand Certificate in Primary Industry Operational Skills (level 3).
All unit standards listed below are compulsory on completion learners may be awarded the Micro-Credential by the Primary ITO.
|Unit Standard||Unit Description||NZQA
|17976||Demonstrate knowledge of operating a light 4WD vehicle in an off-road environment.||4||3|
|17978||Operate a light 4WD vehicle in an off-road environment||4||3|
spaces available $